Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!


This Sunday is Mother’s Day. I remember making cards and little presents for my mother every year when I was little. I was so excited to give them to her, and she always loved whatever I gave her. Now, as a mother of three young boys, I appreciate my mother in a whole new way, and I love the gifts my children shower me with, especially the ones they make. My mother has been an inspiration, a mentor, a friend, and someone who is always there to offer words of advice and encouragement. I can only aspire to be as great of a mother as she has been to me.  
In my house, Mother’s Day and birthdays are an event. My kids love these days, and I treasure their excitement. This past week, my seven year old had a timeline project for school. He had to mark the special events in his life that have happened each year from the first year he was born, through the present. Looking through all of the old photos served as a reality that my children are growing up fast. I remember the first time I held each of them in my arms and now, I am in awe of the things they do and the things they say. Raising them, working part time and going to school is a recipe for chaos. Sometimes it’s hard to appreciate all of their energy and youthfulness because it is so crazy. And I know, that one day I will look back and miss the little things, like the hugs and kisses they will one day be too cool to spoil me with, the way they pretend they are super heroes, the way they try to surprise us by making breakfast and even the occasions where my children were acting out in public and I was “that mother.” Each one of them adds something very unique to my life, and so on this Mother’s Day, I simply want to enjoy them, treasure them, and love them. I am truly blessed! Happy Mother’s Day to all you!

Vocabulary

Excited (adjective) - stirred emotionally

Appreciate (verb) - to be grateful or thankful for

Mentor (noun) - a wise trusted counselro or teacher

Encouragement (noun) - praise, support, boost, lift, endorsement

Aspire (verb) - to long, aim or seek ambitiously; be eagerly desirous, especially for something of great or high value

Awe (verb) - an overwhelming feeiling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc.  produced by that which is grand, sublime

Chaos (noun) - a state of utter confusion or disorder


Fill in the Blank

1.      They are _____for the party tonight.

2.      I _______my children.

3.      My mother is my ________.

4.      My husband gives me a great deal of ___________.

5.      He _______ to be a lawyer.

6.      We were in ________ of her amazing voice.

7.      After the game, there was complete _______ in the parking lot.

Grammar Point

I have used the past and the future tense in this story.  Can you write a story about something you will do in the future. Be sure to use as many adjectives as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment